Saturday, October 11, 2014

Black Urban America

One of my former students once asked me which cities had the highest percentage of unmarried African-American professional men.  She was a young, unmarried African-American woman in graduate school and wanted to find a similar man.  I told her I didn't actually know.  Her guess was Atlanta or Chicago.

I still don't know the answer to my student's question, but this map shows the metro areas where African-Americans make up a larger percentage of the population.  In Alaska (not shown), Hawaii (not shown), much of the West, and in many of the urban areas of Appalachia, Black Americans make up fewer than 1 in 20 residents.  In fact, only in Las Vegas and Vallego-Fairfield (CA) do the percentages of African-Americans top 1 in 10 people.

From Louisiana to Maryland, however, Black residents constitute at least a quarter (1 in 4) of the population.  In only one metro (Albany, GA) Blacks are the majority.

No comments: